A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
We use the following cookies:
- Persistent cookies. They help the website remember your information and settings when you visit them in the future result in faster and more convenient access since, for example, you don’t have to login again. They are stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date.
- Session cookies. They allow users to be recognised within a website so any page changes or item or data selection you do is remembered from page to page. The most common example of this use is the shopping cart feature of any e-commerce site. They will expire at the end of the user session when the web browser is closed.
- Strictly necessary cookies.These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies.They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies.These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies.These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies; for example:
- Internet Explorer (Version 11): use the cookie handling overridesettings available by clicking “Tools”, “Internet Options”, “Privacy” and then “Advanced”;
- Firefox (Version 59):click “Tools”, “Options”, “Privacy”,selecting “Use custom settings for history” from the drop-down menu, and unticking “Acceptcookies from sites”;
- Chrome (Version 65): you can block all cookies by accessing the “Customise and control” menu, and clicking “Settings”, “Show advanced settings” and “Content settings”, and then selecting “Block sites from setting any data” under the “Cookies” heading.
Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
You can delete cookies already stored on your computer; for example:
- Internet Explorer (Version 11): you must manually delete cookies by selecting the “Tools” button, point to “Safety”, then select “Delete browsing history”, then select the “Cookies and website data” check box, and then select “Delete”.
- Firefox (Version 59): you can delete cookies by clicking “Tools”, “Options” and “Privacy”,then selecting “Use custom settings for history” from the drop-down menu, clicking “Show Cookies”, and then clicking “Remove All Cookies”.
- Chrome (Version 65): you can delete all cookies by accessing the “Customise and control” menu, and clicking “Settings”, “Show advanced settings” and “Clear browsing data”,and then selecting “Cookies and other site and plug-in data” before clicking “Clear browsing data”.
Except for Essential cookies, all cookies will expire after [Brian?].
Last updated 25th April 2018.
© IMCS Media Ltd